Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT Fork

From: Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 19:28:01 +0000

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Hector Chu via bitcoin-dev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 15 August 2015 at 18:43, Satoshi Nakamoto via bitcoin-dev
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of
>> relying solely on altruism.
>
>
> Is he talking about "full nodes" i.e. validating-only, or nodes in the sense
> of the original whitepaper (i.e. miners)? Because there is already plenty of
> incentive for running a node (i.e. the coinbase).

One can mine without running a node, unfortunately, thats where the
comments about pooled mining come from.

Also, this distionction between full nodes that "Validate" and
(presumably) SPV wallets that don't validate isn't consistent with the
design of Bitcoin.

> enter the mining game. A bit like making P2Pool the one and only pool
> allowed on the network.

Thats been suggested, though scalablity reasons make this hard: in the
P2Pool design there is a substantial tradeoff in variance reduction vs
communicatoin costs.