Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] I do not support the BIP 148 UASF

From: Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 18:50:17 +0000

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Mark Friedenbach via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> triggering BIP141 activation, and therefore not enabling the new consensus
> rules on already deployed full nodes. BIP148 is making an explicit choice
> to favor dragging along those users which have upgraded to BIP141 support
> over those miners who have failed to upgrade.
>

I do not follow the argument that a critical design feature of a particular
"user activated soft fork" could be that it is users don't need to be
involved.  If the goal is user activation I would think that the
expectation would be that the overwhelming majority of users would be
upgrading to do it, if that isn't the case, then it isn't really a user
activated softfork-- it's something else.

> On an aside, I'm somewhat disappointed that you have decided to make a
> public statement against the UASF proposal. Not because we disagree -- that
> is fine -- but because any UASF must be a grassroots effort and
> endorsements (or denouncements) detract from that.
>

So it has to be supported by the public but I can't say why I don't support
it? This seems extremely suspect to me.