Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP 174 thoughts

From: Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:39:20 +0000

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Peter D. Gray via bitcoin-dev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> PSBT is something we need, and has been missing from the ecosystem
> for a long time. Let's push this out and start talking about future
> versions after we learn from this one.

When you implement proposals that have little to no public discussion
about them you take the risk that your work needs to be changed when
other people do actually begin reviewing the work.  It is incredibly
demoralizing as a designer and a reviewer to have proposals that were
put out for discussion show up implemented in things with these vested
interests then insisting that they not be refined further.  I think
kind of handling is toxic to performing development in public.

Although it's silly enough that it won't happen, I think our industry
would be better off if there was a social norm that anytime someone
insists an unfinished proposal shouldn't be changed because they
already implemented it that the spec should _always_ be changed, in
order to discourage further instances of that conduct.