Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Why SegWit Anyway?

From: Dan Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 12:04:09 -0600

Is there any incentive for miners to pick segwit transactions over
non-segwit transaction.  Do they require less, equal, or more compute to
process?

On Nov 20, 2017 11:46 AM, "Johnson Lau via bitcoin-dev" <
[email-masked]> wrote:

We can’t “just compute the Transaction ID the same way the hash for signing
the transaction is computed” because with different SIGHASH flags, there
are 6 (actually 256) ways to hash a transaction.

Also, changing the definition of TxID is a hardfork change, i.e. everyone
are required to upgrade or a chain split will happen.

It is possible to use “normalised TxID” (BIP140) to fix malleability issue.
As a softfork, BIP140 doesn’t change the definition of TxID. Instead, the
normalised txid (i.e. txid with scriptSig removed) is used when making
signature. Comparing with segwit (BIP141), BIP140 does not have the
side-effect of block size increase, and doesn’t provide any incentive to
control the size of UTXO set. Also, BIP140 makes the UTXO set permanently
bigger, as the database needs to store both txid and normalised txid

On 21 Nov 2017, at 1:24 AM, Praveen Baratam via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Bitcoin Noob here. Please forgive my ignorance.

>From what I understand, in SegWit, the transaction needs to be serialized
into a data structure that is different from the current one where
signatures are separated from the rest of the transaction data.

Why change the format at all? Why cant we just compute the Transaction ID
the same way the hash for signing the transaction is computed?

-- 
Dr. Praveen Baratam

about.me <http://about.me/praveen.baratam>
_______________________________________________

bitcoin-dev mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev

_______________________________________________
bitcoin-dev mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev