Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Possible change to the MIT license

From: Natanael <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:25:10 +0100

Den 13 feb. 2018 15:07 skrev "JOSE FEMENIAS CAÑUELO via bitcoin-dev" <
[email-masked]>:

***
NO PART OF THIS SOFTWARE CAN BE INCLUDED IN ANY OTHER PROJECT THAT USES THE
NAME BITCOIN AS PART OF ITS NAME AND/OR ITS MARKETING MATERIAL UNLESS THE
SOFTWARE PRODUCED BY THAT PROJECT IS FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH THE BITCOIN
(CORE) BLOCKCHAIN
***

That's better solved with trademarks. (whoever would be the trademark
holder - Satoshi?)

This would also prohibit any reimplementation that's not formally verified
to be perfectly compatible from using the name.

It also adds legal uncertainty.

Another major problem is that it neither affects anybody forking older
versions of Bitcoin, not people using existing independent blockchain
implementations and renaming them Bitcoin-Whatsoever.

And what happens when an old version is technically incompatible with a
future version by the Core team due to not understanding various new
softforks? Which version wins the right to the name?

Also, being unable to even mention Bitcoin is overkill.

The software license also don't affect the blockchain data.