Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] I want to rebuild the GUI in JavaScript

From: "M.K. Safi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 10:30:24 -0800

Thank you for the feedback Jonas. It was helpful.

I'll take this topic off list since this is probably not the right place
for it, but just for those who emailed me asking about how to follow the
progress, I've been working on a proof-of-concept over the last month and
published it here: https://github.com/orange-org/orange

I would appreciate contributions toward growing this. Check out the bottom
of the README for ways to get involved. Thanks!

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:36 AM Jonas Schnelli via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is probably the wrong place to discuss that (OT).
>
> > I’d like to try to rebuild Bitcoin Core GUI using the JavaScript
> Electron framework. My goal is to get a real world understanding of the
> pros and cons of moving from Qt to Electron.
>
> There is a relatively new Bitcoin Core Github issue that covers that topic
> [1].
> AFAIK many Bitcoin Core contributors (and users?) don’t like the idea of
> having a Browser and JavaScript to achieve a UI with relatively simple
> user-stories.
>
> I think if you want to do this, try to work on a third party project and
> let your Electron UI connect to Bitcoin Core over RPC.
> To avoid pulling, eventually use ZMQ or help getting long polling into
> Bitcoin Core [2].
>
> Adding a Electron/JavaScript UI to the Bitcoin Core repository is very
> unlikely to happen.
>
> [1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17395
> [2] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7949
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>