Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Updating the Scaling Roadmap

From: Bryan Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:36:12 -0500

I can't help but notice that I have read Greg's email before-- all the
way back in 2016. It would have been impossible for him to write a
reply to Paul's current email back then... but I also notice that Greg
did not indicate that he was copy-pasting until the very end (and even
then his aside at the end was sort of not the most clear it could have
been I think).

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Paul Sztorc via bitcoin-dev
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 7/11/2017 5:11 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> [  Note 1: I think it is important to disclose that several of the
>> items in this list appear to be more or less quoted out of my own
>> blockstream-internal descriptions of things we've been working on in
>> Bitcoin.
>> A while back Adam Back asked me to publish something which contained
>> significant chunks of this document more or less verbatim,
[ snip ]
> I am not exactly sure what you are insinuating but I encourage you to
> clarify it.

I believe that's an artifact of a 2016 email. And the rest of it, for
that matter. See below.

>> and I
>> declined saying that I personally disagree with some of his points and
>> didn't think that Blockstream attempting to redirect the Bitcoin
>> project (esp towards drivechains) was appropriate-- along with my
>> (above) views on roadmaps (which I have included here a private email
>> thread on the subject). I feel it's important to disclose this, and
>> that the document was not otherwise created with the input of project
>> contributors (except Luke-Jr, apparently). I wasn't previously aware
>> that Adam had been working with Paul on this, had I been I would have
>> also encouraged people to be a little more transparent about it. ]
> I really don't understand what you are disclosing. That Adam asked you
> for feedback on the draft? And then, in the next sentence, that not
> enough experts were asked for feedback on the draft? I'm legitimately
> confused by this part.
>
> As I stated, we can remove the drivechain section. But surely you can
> appreciate how bizarre your position on roadmaps is. What exactly, did
> you intended to create at [1]? Since it is described explicitly as "the
> roadmap in Capacity increases for the Bitcoin system", have you been
> disagreeing with it's characterization as a 'roadmap' this entire time?
> One wonders why you haven't said anything until now.
>
> [1] https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/21/capacity-increase/

The vast majority of Greg's email, including all the positiontext on
roadmaps was mostly text sent on 2016-11-04 to Adam Back, myself,
Wladimir, and others. Some of the other parts aren't, like the part
mentioning Blockstream.

Here is a commitment to a list of the recipients (for whatever good
such a commitment might do):
b1e575e15d86a5a5931ea0bc519701df4cc152f020f03cd7912074ce5c36260a

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507