Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Core maintainers and communication on merge decisions

From: Bryan Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 07:03:10 -0500

On Sun, May 7, 2023 at 12:36 PM David A. Harding via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 2023-05-06 21:03, Michael Folkson via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > Essentially my concern is going forward current maintainers will
> > decide which proposed new maintainers to add and which to block.
>
> This is how a large percentage of organizations are run.  The current
> members of a board or other governance group choose who will become a
> new board member.
>

Yes but it's unrelated to what Bitcoin Core is-- a volunteer project of
independent contributors merging different pull requests or patches. The
github controls are merely because that is how github works. There is also
a secondary issue of people tending to confuse Bitcoin Core with the
bitcoin protocol in general:
https://blog.lopp.net/who-controls-bitcoin-core/
https://medium.com/@bergealex4/the-tao-of-bitcoin-development-ff093c6155cd
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/culture/a-primer-on-bitcoin-governance-or-why-developers-aren-t-in-charge-of-the-protocol-1473270427

- Bryan
https://twitter.com/kanzure