Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Rebatable fees & incentive-safe fee markets

From: Jorge Timón <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 05:53:00 +0200

I really don't see how this "outlier behaviour" can be prevented. I think
it would be the norm even with your proposed "fix". Perhaps I'm missing
something too.

On 29 Sep 2017 5:24 pm, "Mark Friedenbach via bitcoin-dev" <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is correct. Under assumptions of a continuous mempool model however
> this should be considered the outlier behavior, other than a little bit of
> empty space at the end, now and then. A maximum fee rate calculated as a
> filter over past block rates could constrain this outlier behavior from
> ever happening too.
>
> > On Sep 29, 2017, at 3:43 AM, Daniele Pinna <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe I'm getting this wrong but wouldn't this scheme imply that a miner
> is incentivized to limit the amount of transactions in a block to capture
> the maximum fee of the ones included?
> >
> > As an example, mined blocks currently carry ~0.8 btc in fees right now.
> If I were to submit a transaction paying 1 btc in maximal money fees, then
> the miner would be incentivized to include my transaction alone to avoid
> that lower fee paying transactions reduce the amount of fees he can earn
> from my transaction alone. This would mean that I could literally clog the
> network by paying 1btc every ten minutes.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Daniele
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>