Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Speedy Trial

From: Jorge Timón <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:19:36 +0000

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022, 00:12 Russell O'Connor via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> On Thu., Mar. 10, 2022, 08:04 Jorge Timón via bitcoin-dev, <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> You're right, we shouldn't get personal. We shouldn't ignore feedback
>> from me, mark friedenbach or luke just because of who it comes from.
>>
>
> For goodness sake Jorge, enough with the persecution complex.
>

Thanks for answering.

As the person who initially proposed the Speedy Trial deployment design, I
> can say it was designed to take in account those concerns raised by luke-jr
> and the "no-miner-veto" faction.  I also listened to the
> "devs-do-not-decide" faction and the "no-divegent-consensus-rules" faction
> and their concerns.
>

That's great, but it still doesn't take into account my concerns. I'm not
part of any of those "factions". I guess I'm part of the "yes-user-veto"
faction. I know, I know, we don't matter because the "no-divergent-rules"
"faction" matters too much for us to be listened.

The "no-miner-veto" concerns are, to an extent, addressed by the short
> timeline of Speedy Trial.  No more waiting 2 years on the miners dragging
> their feet.  If ST fails to active then we are back where we started with
> at most a few weeks lost.  And those weeks aren't really lost if they would
> have been wasted away anyways trying to find broad consensus on another
> deployment mechanism.
>
> I get that you don't like the design of Speedy Trial.  You may even object
> that it fails to really address your concerns by leaving open how to follow
> up a failed Speedy Trial deployment.  But regardless of how you feel, I
> believe I did meaningfully address the those miner-veto concerns and other
> people agree with me.
>
> If you are so concerned about listening to legitimate criticism, maybe you
> can design a new deployment mechanism that addresses the concerns of the
> "devs-do-not-decide" faction and the "no-divegent-consensus-rules"
> faction.  Or do you feel that their concerns are illegitimate?  Maybe, by
> sheer coincidence, all people you disagree with have illegitimate concerns
> while only your concerns are legitimate.
>

I talked about this. But the "no-divergent-rules" faction doesn't like it,
so we can pretend we have listened to this "faction" and addressed all its
concerns, I guess.
Or perhaps it's just "prosectution complex", but, hey, what do I know about
psychology?

A major contender to the Speedy Trial design at the time was to mandate
> eventual forced signalling, championed by luke-jr.  It turns out that, at
> the time of that proposal, a large amount of hash power simply did not have
> the firmware required to support signalling.  That activation proposal
> never got broad consensus, and rightly so, because in retrospect we see
> that the design might have risked knocking a significant fraction of mining
> power offline if it had been deployed.  Imagine if the firmware couldn't be
> quickly updated or imagine if the problem had been hardware related.
>

Yes, I like this solution too, with a little caveat: an easy mechanism for
users to actively oppose a proposal.
Luke alao talked about this.
If users oppose, they should use activation as a trigger to fork out of the
network by invalidating the block that produces activation.
The bad scenario here is that miners want to deploy something but users
don't want to.
"But that may lead to a fork". Yeah, I know.
I hope imagining a scenario in which developers propose something that most
miners accept but some users reject is not taboo.

Some of these discussions started at the time of segwit activation. Yes,
segwit, not taproot.

As for mark, he wasn't talking about activation, but quantum computing
concerns. Perhaps those have been "addressed"?
I just don't know where.

_______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>