Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Revisiting NODE_BLOOM: Proposed BIP

From: Eric Lombrozo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:15:39 +0000

It would be very useful to not only be able to switch filtering on and off
globally...but to be able to switch on a per-connection basis. But then
again, perhaps it would be smarter to ditch the whole bloom filter thing in
favor of an actual client/server architecture with proper authentication
and access controls.

The RPC was supposed to be this client/server architecture...but in
practice it sucks so bad for doing anything beyond administering a node
instance you fully control yourself that I eschewed it entirely in my
wallet design.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015, 11:07 AM Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> BIP 111 was assigned, pull request (with the proposed changes) available
> at https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/183
>
> Matt
>
> On 08/24/15 18:00, Peter Todd wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 05:37:51PM +0000, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
> wrote:
> >> Its more of a statement of "in the future, we expect things to happen
> >> which would make this an interesting thing to do, so we state here that
> >> it is not against spec to do so". Could reword it as "NODE_BLOOM is
> >> distinct from NODE_NETWORK, and it is legal to advertise NODE_BLOOM but
> >> not NODE_NETWORK (though there is little reason to do so now, some
> >> proposals may make this more useful in the future)"?
> >
> > ACK
> >
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>