Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Adding callback hooks to the satoshi client

From: Eric Lombrozo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 01:41:25 -0700

I'd also like to be able to get detailed information of message format
errors for debugging other nodes that connect to bitcoind. For
instance, if a transaction is rejected because the signature is
invalid, I want to know this. If it's because the amount is out of
range or because the output couldn't be connected, I want to know
this, too. I especially want to know if it was because the transaction
is claiming an output that has already been claimed by another
transaction.

For now, I've had to resort to sticking tracers and stubs into
bitcoind. It would be really nice to not only be able to write an
error log but to also let the connecting node know what went wrong.
Obviously these types of messages should *not* be part of the bitcoin
protocol itself since it invites all kinds of attacks. But it would be
wonderful to have a side channel for this type of data, and it could
also be done using callbacks.

The callback mechanism could be configurable in a similar fashion to
the RPC in the bitcoin.conf file.

-Eric Lombrozo