Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Revisiting NODE_BLOOM: Proposed BIP

From: Eric Lombrozo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:58:55 +0000

When I was working on mSIGNA I became a little torn on the whole filtering
mechanism. I fully support connection filtering...but in practice always
run my own full node instances to connect to due to the three fatal flaws:
1) no mechanism for short proofs of tx nonexclusion, txout unspentness,
block validity, nor the ability to find the first instance of the use of a
scriptPubKey without full blockchain scanning, 2) poor privacy, 3) lack of
incentives to run servers.

I always felt that BIP37 was necessarily a step towards a client/server
architecture.

Having said that, I have found the filter mechanism useful, if only because
no "special" server is required. However, in practice I'd rather make the
distinction between trustless peers and a client/server model more explicit.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015, 10:41 AM Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 05:37:51PM +0000, Matt Corallo wrote:
> > Its more of a statement of "in the future, we expect things to happen
> > which would make this an interesting thing to do, so we state here that
> > it is not against spec to do so". Could reword it as "NODE_BLOOM is
> > distinct from NODE_NETWORK, and it is legal to advertise NODE_BLOOM but
> > not NODE_NETWORK (though there is little reason to do so now, some
> > proposals may make this more useful in the future)"?
>
> Yes, it makes sense to not explicitly exclude it.
> Looks good to me.
>
> Wladimir
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>