Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Let's deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY!

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:01:02 -0400

I think three things need to happen:

1) Stop pretending that "everyone must agree to make consensus rule
changes." "Rough consensus" is what we've always gone with, and is good
enough.

2) Mr. Todd (or somebody) needs to write up a risk/benefit security
tradeoff analysis doo-hickey document and publish it. I'm reasonably
confident that the risks to SPV nodes can be mitigated (e.g. by deploying
mempool-only first, before the soft fork rolls out), but as somebody who
has only been moderately paying attention, BETTER COMMUNICATION is needed.
What should SPV wallet authors be doing right now, if anything? Once the
soft fork starts to roll out or activates, what do miners need to be aware
of? SPV wallet authors?

3) I agree CLTV is ready to roll out, that there is rough consensus a soft
fork is a reasonable way to do it, and that it should happen ASAP.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Mike Hearn via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> There is *no* consensus on using a soft fork to deploy this feature. It
> will result in the same problems as all the other soft forks - SPV wallets
> will become less reliable during the rollout period. I am against that, as
> it's entirely avoidable.
>
> Make it a hard fork and my objection will be dropped.
>
> Until then, as there is no consensus, you need to do one of two things:
>
> 1) Drop the "everyone must agree to make changes" idea that people here
> like to peddle, and do it loudly, so everyone in the community is correctly
> informed
>
> 2) Do nothing
>
>
-- 
--
Gavin Andresen