Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Block Size Increase Requirements

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 09:57:32 -0400

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Chun Wang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello. I am from F2Pool. We are currently mining the biggest blocks on
> the network.

Thanks for giving your opinion!

> Bad miners could attack us and the network with artificial
> big blocks.

How?

I ran some simulations, and I could not find a network topology where a big
miner producing big blocks could cause a loss of profit to another miner
(big or small) producing smaller blocks:

http://gavinandresen.ninja/are-bigger-blocks-better-for-bigger-miners

(the 0.3% advantage I DID find was for the situation where EVERYBODY was
producing big blocks).

> We think
> the max block size should be increased, but must be increased
> smoothly, 2 MB first, and then after one or two years 4 MB, then 8 MB,
> and so on. Thanks.

Why 2 MB ?   You said that server bandwidth is much more expensive in
China; what would be the difference in your bandwidth costs between 2MB
blocks and 20MB blocks?

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen