Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Fwd: [BIP 15] Aliases

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:06:52 -0500

First: everybody please try to focus on the issues/ideas, and try to
avoid this becoming a flame war.

Second: I think Walter Stanish made several good points that may have
been missed in all the long posts and discussion, the main one being:

The banking industry has been dealing with many of these issues for
years; I think we should not dismiss their experience.

I think there is also a huge public relations benefit to using a
standard like IIBAN instead of inventing our own. Having a Bitcoin
Payment Routing Address (or whatever it ends up being called) that
looks like the number issues by big financial institutions will give
people the warm fuzzies.

I don't really care what happens behind the scenes, as long as it is
as secure as an HTTPS connection (RE: CA pwnage:  there's no such
thing as perfect security, and until a more secure solution comes
along HTTPS is the best we've got).

And I'll reiterate that there doesn't have to be just one solution.

My only concern is that IIBAN is Yet Another Fledgling Standard, and
those little details that remain to be worked out could take years to
actually work out.

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen