Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol: BIP 70, 71, 72

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 21:33:07 +1000

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Roy Badami <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Is it envisaged to be possible/sensible to have a URI that is *only* a
> payment request?  i.e. something like the following (although I'm not
> sure this is a valid URI):
>
> bitcoin:?request=https%3A%2F%2Fmerchant.com%2Fpay.php%3Fh%3D2a8628fc2fbe

I think we'll want a bitcoin address in there for a long time for
backwards compatibility.

If web browser support for arbitrary MIME types is strong enough (I
haven't tested), then a payment request can be initiated with just an
anchor tag:
  <a href="https://merchant.com/pay.php?3D2a8628fc2fbe"
type="application/bitcoin-paymentrequest">

Doing it that way saves a http round-trip.

--
--
Gavin Andresen