Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Seeking advice: Encouraging bug-fixing over new features

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:45:37 +1000

RE: bounties:

"A couple of bitcoins to fix a bug" sounds to me like nothing but trouble
for whoever is in charge of awarding the bounties, but maybe I'm just
anti-bounty because spending 2 or 3 hours and getting $30 worth of bitcoins
for fixing a bug wouldn't motivate me.

Anybody know how cash bounties have worked for other projects?  Have any
others paid bounties on run-of-the-mill bugs, and did that cause any
problems?  I'm worried that if contributors start getting bounties that will
change the dynamic from cooperative to competitive.  For example, if
somebody has figured out how to solve 90% of some tricky bug I don't want
them to hesitate to ask for help on the last 10% because they're worried "if
I describe the progress I've made so far somebody might swoop in and steal
my bounty...."

RE: road-map and bug-fix-only-releases:  Great ideas.

RE: paid full-time project lead:  I arranged to get paid to work on bitcoin
full-time before I left for Australia; more details when I get back
week-after-next.

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen