Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Core and hard forks

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 12:28:44 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Tom Harding via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 7/23/2015 5:17 AM, Jorge Timón via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > they will simply advance the front and start another battle, because
> > their true hidden faction is the "not ever side". Please, Jeff, Gavin,
> > Mike, show me that I'm wrong on this point. Please, answer my question
> > this time. If "not now", then when?
>
> Bitcoin has all the hash power.  The merkle root has effectively
> infinite capacity.  We should be asking HOW to scale the supporting
> information propagation system appropriately, not WHEN to limit the
> capacity of the primary time-stamping machine.
>
> We haven't tried yet.  I can't answer for the people you asked, but
> personally I haven't thought much about when we should declare failure.

Yes! Lets plan for success!

I'd really like to move from "IMPOSSIBLE because...  (electrum hasn't been
optimized
(by the way: you should run on SSDs, LevelDB isn't designed for spinning
disks),
what if the network is attacked?  (attacked HOW???), current p2p network is
using
the simplest, stupidest possible block propagation algorithm...)"

... to "lets work together and work through the problems and scale it up."

I'm frankly tired of all the negativity here; so tired of it I've decided
to mostly ignore
all the debate for a while, not respond to misinformation I see being spread
(like "miners have some incentive to create slow-to-propagate blocks"),
work with people like Tom and Mike who have a 'lets get it done' attitude,
and
focus on what it will take to scale up.

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen