Subject: [Bitcoin-development] Working on social contracts (was: Paper Currency)

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 15:41:15 -0400

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Justus Ranvier <[email-masked]>wrote:

>
> You and Gavin could do a lot better by working on a Bitcoin social
> contract - a promise of what features will *never* be added (or taken
> away) from Bitcoin, because despite what you say it's not acceptable
> to propose anything at all.
>

Now I'm really confused.

Why would Mike or I have the authority to write a "social contract" to
promise anything about future-Bitcoin?

I thought the only "social contract" was the decentralized one we have
already-- if you don't like something about the code, then don't download
and run it. Or fork it if you're able.

As the person who started this mailing list, I DO feel like I have the
authority to enforce a social contract of "no trolling or flaming or
name-calling" here. I'd very much like to delegate that authority, though;
ideally to some software algorithm that automatically censors topics or
people who don't contribute to a productive discussion.

PS: speaking of productive discussion...
... please change the Subject line when the topic wanders.

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen