Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Increase block size limit to 2 megabytes

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 12:45:14 -0500

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Adam Back <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> It would probably be a good idea to have a security considerations
> section

Containing what?  I'm not aware of any security considerations that are any
different from any other consensus rules change.

(I can write a blog post summarizing our slack discussion of SPV security
immediately after the first greater-than-1mb-block if you like).

> , also, is there a list of which exchange, library, wallet,
> pool, stats server, hardware etc you have tested this change against?
>

That testing is happening by the exchange, library, wallet, etc providers
themselves. There is a list on the Classic home page:

https://bitcoinclassic.com/

>
> Do you have a rollback plan in the event the hard-fork triggers via
> false voting as seemed to be prevalent during XT?  (Or rollback just
> as contingency if something unforseen goes wrong).
>

The only voting in this BIP is done by the miners, and that cannot be faked.

Are you talking about people spinning up pseudo-full-nodes that fake the
user-agent?

As I said, there are people who have said they will spin up thousands of
full nodes to help prevent possible Sybil attacks which would become
marginally easier to accomplish immediately after the first >1mb block was
produced and full nodes that hadn't upgraded were left behind.

Would Blockstream be willing to help out by running a dozen or two extra
full nodes?

I can't imagine any even-remotely-likely sequence of events that would
require a rollback, can you be more specific about what you are imagining?
Miners suddenly getting cold feet?

> How do you plan to monitor and manage security through the hard-fork?
>

I don't plan to monitor or manage anything; the Bitcoin network is
self-monitoring and self-managing. Services like statoshi.info will do the
monitoring, and miners and people and businesses will manage the network,
as they do every day.

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen