Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Floating fees and SPV clients

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 11:40:35 +1000

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Mike Hearn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> PPv1 doesn't have any notion of fee unfortunately. I suppose it could be
> added easily, but we also need to launch the existing feature set.
>

Lets bang out a merchant-pays-fee extension.

How about:

SPEC:

    optional uint64 allowfee    tag number=1000

Allow up to allowfee satoshis to be deducted from the amount paid to be
used to pay Bitcoin network transaction fees. A wallet implementation must
not reduce the amount paid for fees more than allowfee, and transaction
fees must be equal to or greater than the amount reduced.

:ENDSPEC

Rationale: we don't want wallet software giving users discounts-- sending
transactions that are amount-allowfee without paying any fee.  We also want
to allow users to pay MORE in fees, if they need to (fragmented wallet,
maybe, or big CoinJoin transaction) or decide to.

PS: I think there was also consensus that the BIP72  request=...   should
be shortened to just r=... (save 6 chars in QR codes).  Unless somebody
objects, I'll change the BIP and the reference implementation code to make
it so...

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen