Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] [Bulk] Re: Fwd: Block Size Increase Requirements

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 15:49:05 -0400

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 9:31 AM, gb <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Aren't you calculating bandwidth for a singly-connected node? A "highly
> connected" miner could have 30-100 node connections so you probably need
> to increase your traffic estimates by that factor.
>
> I.e. For 100MB blocks, 30-100 Mbps and $60-$100 per day data costs.
>

No, randomly connected gossip networks (which is what the Bitcoin p2p
network is) don't work that way, bandwidth is (roughly) O(N) where N is the
number of bytes relayed to everybody.

(it is actually a small multiple of N, because of the overhead of 'inv'
messages, and if we ever get really serious about scaling up we'll need to
fix the protocol to reduce that overhead, but that won't be a problem for
years).

-- 
--
Gavin Andresen