Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Double spend detection to speed up transaction trust

From: Gavin Andresen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:07:46 +1000

Couple of semi-random thoughts:

RE: detecting double spends:  I agree that extending the protocol to make
double-spend detection better is probably a bad idea.

That said, I could see extending the information reported by the
listtransactions/gettransaction API calls to report detected double spends (
== transaction uses the same inputs as another transaction in the block
chain or memory pool). IIRC, now the code just drops double spends, so if
this was done the implementation would have to be careful about being
vulnerable to a "fill memory with bogus transactions" attack.

RE: badly-behaved nodes:  I'd really like somebody to start experimenting
with algorithms for detecting well-behaved and ill-behaved nodes-- maybe
starting with a dns-seed implementation.  I suspect people are starting to
experiment with various types of Sybil attacks, which might explain why
network connectivity has been so bad.

(sent from the Sydney airport, before a very LOOONG flight back to
Massachusetts)
-- 
--
Gavin Andresen