Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Timed testing

From: Jorge Timón <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:09:45 +0200

On 4/17/14, Mike Hearn <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> 2) If I wanted to measure validation performance, to get the number of
>> peak tps that could be processed without taking block sides or network
>> latency into account, how would I do that? Has anybody tried this
>> before?
>
>
> You can just reindex/replay the chain. It's been done many times.

Yes, thank you. I guess that's what everybody is doing to measure
validation performance.
So I guess the timedtest mode doesn't make much sense, at most only as
the blocktime parameter defaulting to zero. If bool
MineBlocksOnDemand() gets refactored out of ChainParams into a
parameter (maybe just use genproclimit ?), you can have the periodic
block generation and the generation on demand reusing the same regtest
mode.

So it seems a new mode only makes sense if the -private mode makes
sense, which in turn only makes sense to include in bitcoind if it's
useful enough for the network attack simulations, which remains the
open question.