Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Merge mining

From: Jorge Timón <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 11:34:55 +0100

On 1/4/14, David Vorick <[email-masked]> wrote:
> It's meant to be in favor of merge mining.
>
> Dogecoin uses scrypt, which is a very popular algorithm.

Also, MS windows is a very popular operative system.
That's a fallacy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

> If any large
> currency were to be attacked through merge mining, it would probably be
> litecoin miners attacking dogecoin. But if you control enough of the
> litecoin network to do attack mining against dogecoin, you almost certainly
> have a huge vested interest in cryptocurrencies doing well.

Wait, wait, is Dogecoin merge-mineable with litecoin?
It could be if its developers wanted to, but I highly doubt it.
Precisely because of the myths spread against merged mining.

> By attacking
> dogecoin successfully, you'll cast doubt on the entire cryptocurrency
> ecosystem and hurt yourself in the process.

You shouldn't make such assumptions about the interests of a potential attacker.
For example, even being of the "cryptocurrency ecosystem" I could
consider that their slogans and videos are confusing newcomers and
they're really harming the general image of p2p currencies by
associating them with mad speculation and pump and dump schemes.

Being heavily involved in this "ecosystem", I would be very happy if
dogecoin disappeared tomorrow. Personally I've never mined anything,
but if I had the resources I would actually consider such an attack.

Again, I think we're getting off-topic with perrocoin. It hardly has
anything to do with MM.

> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Jorge Timón <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> On 1/4/14, David Vorick <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > If you have the resources to attack one of the bigger altcoins, you
>> > probably have a significant investment in the cryptocurrency space, and
>> > a
>> > significant interest in protecting it. Compromising even something like
>> > dogecoin would cause a lot of questions to be raised and likely drop
>> > the
>> > value of bitcoin as well as all the cryptocurrencies using the same
>> > work
>> > function as dogecoin.
>> >
>> > Right now, there's very little benefit to attacking a significant
>> currency,
>> > because it would be very expensive and likely traumatize the whole
>> system.
>> > Unless it's some power like the NSA, I don't think there's much to
>> > worry
>> > about.
>>
>> The launch thread says it clear: "very scrypt, such random, much
>> profit, wow, many coin".
>> So it seems that Dogecoin doesn't use SHA256 like Bitcoin, but scrypt
>> like most of the other scamcoins.
>> Anyway, I don't see anything in your comment in favor or against
>> merged mining...
>>
>

-- 
Jorge Timón

http://freico.in/