Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Floating-Point Nakamoto Consensus

From: Franck Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:51:03 +1000

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 22:09, Mike Brooks via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:
[snip]

> The solution above also has 19 prefixed zeros, and is being broadcast for
> the same blockheight value of 639254 - and a fitness score of 1.282.  With
> Nakamoto Consensus both of these solutions would be equivalent and a given
> node would adopt the one that it received first.  In Floating-Post Nakamoto
> Consensus, we compare the fitness scores and keep the highest.  In this
> case no matter what happens - some nodes will have to change their tip and
> a fitness test makes sure this happens immediately.
>

Hi Mike,

Any reason why you decided to consider the higher value the "fittest" one
instead of keeping in line with the difficulty algorithm where smallest
values, prefixed with more zeroes, are considered more valuable/difficult?

Also, can you elaborate if anything special would happen if the competitive
chains were created around a difficulty adjustment?

Cheers, Franck

[snip]