Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Even more proposed BIP extensions to BIP 0070

From: Aaron Voisine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 09:58:58 -0700

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 3:56 AM, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> In any case, I'd strongly argue that we remove BIP75 from the bips
> repository,
> and boycott wallets that implement it. It's bad strategy for Bitcoin
> developers
> to willingly participate in AML/KYC, just the same way as it's bad for Tor
> to
> add wiretapping functionality, and W3C to support DRM tech. The minor
> tactical
> wins you'll get our of this aren't worth it.
>
>
Peter, BIP75 gives the parties transacting complete control over who they
choose to share their identity information with. This was the entire point
of the proposal. You authorize who you choose to give your payment address
to, and the sender can verify who they are sending payment to. All
communication and payment info are encrypted against third party snooping,
while still allowing asynchronous communication to accommodate ephemeral
mobile connections.

The fact that some people will choose to use this identity information for
AML/KYC purposes doesn't detract at all from the fact that it gives bitcoin
users the tools they need to keep their payment information private, and
only communicate it with the parties they choose.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet <http://breadwallet.com/>