Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin at POS using BIP70, NFC and offline payments - implementer feedback

From: Aaron Voisine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 17:55:20 -0800

>> However, I don't think we should base
>> bitcoin around what Apple wants us to do. They've already had their war
>> on bitcoin. They are going to do whatever they can to protect their NFC
>> based payment system. We need to make their platform the the less
>> desirable one if they are going to play the game that way. If that means
>> an Airbitz like proposal is implemented as a fallback, maybe that is
>> fine and POS systems need to support both, but I just don't think we
>> should limit what we can do because of Apple's products capabilities.
>
> Ack on Airbitz, and ack on our relationship to Apple (-:

I also agree we shouldn't limit specs to Apple product capabilities. If
history is any indication, NFC will be opened up to developers in iOS 9,
just like touch id in was in iOS 8, and bluetooth LE in iOS 5, one major OS
revision after the hardware capability is first introduced.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't care about bitcoin at all. When
they banned wallets from the app store, it was prior to the 2013 FinCEN
guidance. At the time many of us, myself included, assumed USG would take
the same stance with bitcoin as they did against e-gold. It wasn't clear at
all that bitcoin didn't violate legal tender laws or who knows what. When
Apple allowed wallets back in, it was just weeks before Apple pay launched.
It's seems clear that bitcoin is too small for them to be concerned about
in the slightest.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet.com