Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Proposed alternatives to the 20MB step function

From: Aaron Voisine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 16:15:41 -0700

That's fair, and we've implemented child-pays-for-parent for spending
unconfirmed inputs in breadwallet. But what should the behavior be when
those options aren't understood/implemented/used?

My argument is that the less risky, more conservative default fallback
behavior should be either non-propagation or delayed confirmation, which is
generally what we have now, until we hit the block size limit. We still
have lots of safe, non-controversial, easy to experiment with options to
add fee pressure, causing users to economize on block space without
resorting to dropping transactions after a prolonged delay.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet.com

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Mark Friedenbach <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Aaron Voisine <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> This is a clever way to tie block size to fees.
>>
>> I would just like to point out though that it still fundamentally is
>> using hard block size limits to enforce scarcity. Transactions with below
>> market fees will hang in limbo for days and fail, instead of failing
>> immediately by not propagating, or seeing degraded, long confirmation times
>> followed by eventual success.
>>
>
> There are already solutions to this which are waiting to be deployed as
> default policy to bitcoind, and need to be implemented in other clients:
> replace-by-fee and child-pays-for-parent.
>