Subject: [bitcoin-dev] New Portuguese & Spanish translations of Learning Bitcoin self-paced course

From: Christopher Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 09:54:12 -0800

Blockchain Commons has recently released two translations of our free,
self-paced, "Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line" course, into Spanish
and Portuguese:

   - Portuguese Translation:
   https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Learning-Bitcoin-from-the-Command-Line/tree/master/pt
   - Spanish Translation:
   https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Learning-Bitcoin-from-the-Command-Line/tree/master/es

Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line teaches about Bitcoin development
starting with bitcoin-cli and moving on to using computer languages to
access the RPC API. We’ve always intended that it provide a pathway for
developers to join the broader Bitcoin ecosystem, and we’ve seen personal
success toward that goal, with most of our international interns getting
their start with our course, and with many of them having since found
employment in the field.

Having more educated people in the field not only helps everyone looking
for developers, but it also will make it that much easier for us to make
the next big transition, such as the Taproot transition that we’re
currently working on.

With 460 million native speakers of Spanish and 230 million native speakers
of Portuguese, and with 29 different countries where one or both is an
official language, we think these new translations will considerably widen
the scope of Learning Bitcoin’s coverage and invite many new developers to
work together with all of us on Bitcoin, using the international language
of computer code. Of course, this year’s decision by El Salvador to adopt
Bitcoin as an official currency makes it even more obvious why these sorts
of translations are important.

Here’s what’s next for Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line.

   1. Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line v3.0

Our current iteration of Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line is now a
full year old, so we want to update it to talk about the newest Bitcoin
work, including Taproot, Schnorr signatures, miniscript, and more. Our
current outline for v3.0 is found here (though it’s likely to change some
as we dive fully into the latest bitcoin-core releases):

https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Learning-Bitcoin-from-the-Command-Line/blob/master/TODO-30.md

We’d love your expertise on anything you think we’re missing, or getting
wrong, for the v3.0 update. Please feel free to respond here or write us an
issue, either telling us of any problems with the current course (including
things that have just gotten out of date) or things that we should have in
v3.0 that we’re not currently outlining.

https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Learning-Bitcoin-from-the-Command-Line/issues

   1. Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line Seminars

We are considering offering some brief, weekly seminars in 2022, looking at
individual sections of Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line and answering
questions. If this interests you, or you’d like to help support it, please
let us know.

Thank you to everyone who worked on the translations of Learning Bitcoin:
Ian Culp, Maxi Goyheneche, Said Rahal, César A. Vallero, and Javier Vargas
for our Spanish translation; Namcios, Korea, Luke Pavsky, and hgrams for
the Portuguese translation.

To continue this work, we are looking for monthly patronage to support
Learning Bitcoin. If you think increasing the pool of Bitcoin developers is
important, please consider becoming a patron of Blockchain Commons, and let
us know it’s because of your interest in this course.

https://github.com/sponsors/BlockchainCommons

Thanks for your interest!

-- Christopher Allen