Subject: [bitcoin-dev] Taproot Activation Meeting Reminder: April 6th 19:00 UTC bitcoin/bitcoin-dev

From: Jeremy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 21:39:11 -0700

We'll be having another meeting this Tuesday, as per
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2021-March/018699.html.
If you can't make it feel free to leave a comment on any agenda item below,
or if you think there are other things to be discussed.

Agenda:

1. AJ's update to MTP time.

Please review https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21377 as AJ updated
it substantially.

The PR is now purely MTP based, and the state machine has been simplified.
This approach is intended to be compatible with a mandatory signaling
period (via a LAST_CHANCE change) and makes it easier to deploy ST on
signets (irrelevant for Taproot, because it is already active on all
signets).

2. Selecting between MTP and Height

In the previous meeting, there was no substantial publicly discussed
benefit to using MTPs over height. Since agenda item 1, there is now a
tangible benefit to using MTP.

The changes AJ promulgated for MTP neutralizes the argument, mostly, that
MTP was easier to review. As such, the main conversation in this agenda
item is around the pros/cons of height or MTP and determining if we can
reach consensus on either approach.

3. Timeline Discussion
In all hope, we will reach consensus around item 2. Should that occur, we
can use this time to discuss a final selection on parameters, mindful of
Core's process.

If the meeting doesn't reach rough consensus around item 2, it seems that
we may fall short on the proposed schedule from last time. In this section,
we can discuss realities around scheduling.

Best,

Jeremy

--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>
<https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>