Subject: [bitcoin-dev] [Bitcoin Advent Calendar] Part One: Implementing NFTs in Sapio

From: Jeremy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:49:30 -0800

I know NFTs are controversial, but here's my take on them in Sapio:

https://rubin.io/bitcoin/2021/12/16/advent-19/

If you don't like NFTs, don't worry: the results and techniques are
entirely generalizable here and can apply to many other types of things
that aren't stupid JPGs.

E.g.,

- If you squint, Lightning Channels are NFTs: I have a channel with someone
and I can't transfer it to a third party fungibly because both the
remaining side and entering side want to know about the counterparty
reputation.
- DLCs are NFTs because I want to know not just counterparties, but also
which oracles.
- Colored Coins/Tokens, definitionally, are not NFTs, but fractional shares
of an NFT are Colored Coins, so NFT research might yield new results for
Colored Coins.

Advancing the state of the art for NFTs advances the state of the art for
all sorts of other purposes, while letting us have a little fun. This is a
strong callback to https://rubin.io/bitcoin/2021/12/14/advent-17/ and
https://rubin.io/bitcoin/2021/12/03/advent-6/ if you want to read more on
why things like NFTs are cool even if JPGs are lame.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>
<https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>