Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [Lightning-dev] [Pre-BIP] Fee Accounts

From: Jeremy Rubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 08:29:35 -0800

opt-in or explicit tagging of fee account is a bad design IMO.

As pointed out by James O'Beirne in the other email, having an explicit key
required means you have to pre-plan.... suppose you're building a vault
meant to distribute funds over many years, do you really want a *specific*
precommitted key you have to maintain? What happens to your ability to bump
should it be compromised (which may be more likely if it's intended to be a
hot-wallet function for bumping).

Furthermore, it's quite often the case that someone might do a transaction
that pays you that is low fee that you want to bump but they choose to
opt-out... then what? It's better that you should always be able to fee
bump.

--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 6:24 AM ZmnSCPxj <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Good morning DA,
>
>
> > Agreed, you cannot rely on a replacement transaction would somehow
> > invalidate a previous version of it, it has been spoken into the gossip
> > and exists there in mempools somewhere if it does, there is no guarantee
> > that anyone has ever heard of the replacement transaction as there is no
> > consensus about either the previous version of the transaction or its
> > replacement until one of them is mined and the block accepted. -DA.
>
> As I understand from the followup from Peter, the point is not "this
> should never happen", rather the point is "this should not happen *more
> often*."
>
> Regards,
> ZmnSCPxj
>