Subject: [bitcoin-dev] [Bitcoin Advent Calendar] Packaging Sapio Applications

From: Jeremy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 13:14:16 -0800

hi devs,

today's topic is packaging Sapio applications. maybe a bit more annoying
than usual, but important.

https://rubin.io/bitcoin/2021/12/18/advent-21/

I think WASM is really really cool! It's definitely been very helpful for
Sapio. It'd be kinda neat if at some point software like Bitcoin Core could
run Sapio modules natively and offer users extended functionality based on
that. For now I'm building out the wallet as Sapio Studio, but a boy can
dream. I know there are some bitcoiners (in particular, the rust-bitcoiners
& rust-lightning) who like WASM for shipping stuff to browsers!

WASM is also something I've been thinking about w.r.t. how we ship
consensus upgrades. It would be kinda groovy if we could implement the
semantics of pieces of bitcoin code as WASM modules... e.g., imagine pieces
of consensus being able to be compiled to and run through a WASM system, it
would help guarantee that those pieces of the code are entirely
deterministic. Maybe something for Simplicity to consider WASM being the
host language for JET extensions!

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>
<https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>