Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Let's deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY!

From: Btc Drak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:41:02 +0100

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> 10) Waiting for nVersion bits and CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY will significantly
>     delay deployment of CLTV
>
> It's been proposed multiple times that we wait until we can do a single
> soft-fork with CSV using the nVersion bits mechanism.
>
> nVersion bits doesn't even have an implementation yet, nor has solid
> consensus been reached on the exact semantics of how nVersion bits
> should work.

Small correction, the suggestion is to aim to roll out CLTV+CSV together by
0.12 release, using IsSuperMajority() (or versionbits if it is ready by
then). If CSV is not ready by then, we'd just roll out CLTV.

However, the CSV related pull requests are ready for final review and if
that can happen soon I don't see why we wouldn't roll CLTV+CSV out together
before 0.12. A considerable amount of time, discussion and iterations have
occurred for the related PRs and I believe they are at the point of
consensus modulo final review before merging.

References:

Mempool-only sequence number constraint verification
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6312

Mempool-only CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6564

Mempool-only Median time-past as endpoint for lock-time calculations
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6566