Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT Fork

From: Btc Drak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:30:53 +0100

For the record I would like to share my technical analysis of the Satoshi
email which I wrote in a pastebin (http://pastebin.com/Ct5M8fa2) a few days
ago.

1. The email is the one used by Satoshi to announce Bitcoin in the first
place.
http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2008-October/014810.html

2. The email was not spoofed, it actually originated from vistomail's
server. The email headers show the email originated from 190.97.163.93 and
the SPF records show this as an authorised sender for the email. This does
not prove the account wasn't hacked of course, or that the account might
have expired and be re-registered by someone else (vistomail is a paid for
email provider).

3. While the email is not signed, and there are a number of PGP keys listed
on key servers for him (to vary addresses), he didnt sign any emails with
any PGP keys.

It is therefore not possible to outright dismiss the email's authenticity
as the email originates from an authentic source. The only questions is
whether the webmail service was hacked or commandeered somehow.