Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Fwd: death by halving

From: "Ferdinando M. Ametrano" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 23:43:08 +0100

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Gregory Maxwell <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > As of now the cost per block is probably already about 100USD, probably
> in
> > the 50-150USD.
>
> This is wildly at odds with reality. I don't mean to insult, but
> please understand that every post you make here consumes the time of
> dozens (or, hopefully, hundreds) of people. Every minute you spend
> refining your post has a potential return of many minutes for the rest
> of the users of the list.
>
> At current difficulty, with a SP30 (one of the
> leading-in-power-efficiency) marginal break-even is ~1144.8852 * $/kwh
> == $/btc.
>
> At $0.10/kwh each block has an expected cost right now, discounting
> all one time hardware costs, close to $3000.
>

yes, you're right I meant about $100USD per BTC, i.e. $2500 per block.
Because of my mistake I'll shut up and go back researching the archive on
this issue.

Thank you for the kind summary of the many good reasons why halving is a
non-issue. Very much appreciated, especially considering how precious is
your time.