Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Proposal: extend bip70 with OpenAlias

From: Riccardo Spagni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:29:25 +0200

Hi Mike,

FYI there is a company called Netki is also working on a kind of DNSSEC
> integration with BIP70, there's a thread here about their efforts:
>
>
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/bitcoinj/dnssec/bitcoinj/QFAH1F2dEwE/36oWDwREEV4J
>
> If you would like to work on this, perhaps it's worth teaming up with them?
> Obviously they plan to have an open spec and open source implementation.
>

Netki's solution is incredibly limited, it's a single return value and no
metadata (where OA encapsulates metadata in KV pairs). This does not lend
itself well to handling BIP70-style communication.

As an aside, they also seem to have a complete disregard for lookup
privacy, which we address in OpenAlias by means of DNSCrypt encrypted
lookups. To that end we have even written the first independent DNSCrypt
implementation (ie. over-and-above dnscrypt-proxy) which provides a full
Python implementation that uses libsodium / nacl if available, but falls
back to a 100% Python slownacl implementation:
https://github.com/openalias/dnscrypt-python

Riccardo