Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] BIP - Selector Script

From: Tier Nolan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 21:48:52 +0100

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Luke-Jr <[email-masked]> wrote:

> They define standard for interoperability between
> software. So, if you want nodes to relay these transactions, you need to
> convince them, not merely write a BIP for the transaction format.

I agree with you in theory, each miner could decide their inclusion rules
for themselves.

In practice, if the reference client is updated, then most miners will
accept those transactions.  In addition, it would eventually propagate to
alt-coins (or at least the supported ones).

I could simply submit the changes as a pull request for the reference
client, but I was hoping that by doing it this way, it would increase the
odds of it being accepted.

> Defining a BIP for cross-chain trading would be one way to do that.
>

I don't think it quite requires the same coordination in the short term.  I
could write up the sequence as an info BIP.

The malleability "issue" has been known for years.
> I wouldn't expect any special effort made to fix it...
>

It is possible to tweak the protocol so that it still works.  However, it
means that 3rd parties are required (that could go in the BIP too).

> There is some ongoing discussion of a softfork to basically redo the Script
> language entirely, but it will take quite a bit of time and development
> before
> we'll see it in the wild.
>

Implementing multi-P2SH gets a lot of the benefits of MAST, in terms of
efficiency.

>
> Luke
>
> P.S. Did the BIP editor assign these numbers? If not, best to keep them
> numberless until assigned, to avoid confusion when people Google the real
> BIP
> 44 and 45...
>

Not yet, but that is just my personal repo.  I did email gmaxwell, but he
said that they can't be assigned until some discussion has happened.

I take your point that the name appears in the link though, so could cause
issues with searching.

>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Start Your Social Network Today - Download eXo Platform
> Build your Enterprise Intranet with eXo Platform Software
> Java Based Open Source Intranet - Social, Extensible, Cloud Ready
> Get Started Now And Turn Your Intranet Into A Collaboration Platform
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/ExoPlatform
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>