Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP 102 - kick the can down the road to 2MB

From: Tier Nolan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:12:05 +0100

Transaction sizes are still limited to 1MB with this patch.  While this
isn't technically a change, it does mean that both are no longer linked
together.

Since this has no voting step, I assume the intention is that as a
compromise suggestion, it would have full support.

It establishes a precedent for hard forks not to require a vote though.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Jeff Garzik via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Opening a mailing list thread on this BIP:
>
> BIP PR: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/173
> Code PR: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6451
>
> The general intent of this BIP is as a minimum viable alternative plan to
> my preferred proposal (BIP 100).
>
> If agreement is not reached on a more comprehensive solution, then this
> solution is at least available and a known quantity.  A good backup plan.
>
> Benefits:  conservative increase.  proves network can upgrade.  permits
> some added growth, while the community & market gathers data on how an
> increased block size impacts privacy, security, centralization, transaction
> throughput and other metrics.  2MB seems to be a Least Common Denominator
> on an increase.
>
> Costs:  requires a hard fork.  requires another hard fork down the road.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>
>