Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Increase block size limit to 2 megabytes

From: Tier Nolan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 20:29:42 +0000

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Patrick Strateman via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would expect that custodians who fail to produce coins on both sides
> of a fork in response to depositor requests will find themselves in
> serious legal trouble.
>

If the exchange uses an UTXO from before the fork to pay their clients,
then they are guaranteed to count as paying on all forks.  The exchange
doesn't need to specifically pay out for each fork.

As long as the exchange doesn't accidently double spend an output, even
change addresses are valid.

It is handling post-fork deposits where the problem can occur.  If they
only receive coins on one fork, then that should cause the client to be
credited with funds on both forks.

The easiest thing would be to refuse to accept deposits for a while
before/after the fork happens.
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email> This email has been sent from a
virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email>
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>