Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP Number Request: Open Asset

From: Alex Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 09:49:00 +0300

> I'm curious to hear the answers to the questions Luke asked earlier. I
> also read through the documentation and wasn't convinced it was thought out
> well enough to actually build something on top of,
>
There are many colored coin protocols in use. OpenAssets is probably the
most popular one, but it has many critical flaws IMHO.
https://github.com/bitcoinx/colored-coin-tools/wiki/OpenAssets-deficiencies

> but there's no reason it can't get a number as a work-in-progress.
>
The protocol is not a work-in-progress, it is already in use, you cannot
change it without breaking stuff.
The doc can be improved, though. There is a lot of fluff but the actual
important stuff gets just few ambiguous sentences.

I hope it does continue to get worked on, though. The lack of response or
> discussion worries me that it might become an abandoned project.
>

The original author, Flavien, have abandoned it, he now does a private
blockchain thing, OpenChain.
There are others who still use OpenAssets, e.g. Nicolas, but the protocol
can't be changed.

There are other colored coin protocols in existence/in development, though.