Subject: [bitcoin-dev] Dynamically Controlled Bitcoin Block Size Max Cap

From: Upal Chakraborty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 03:15:37 +0530

I have tried to solve the maximum block size debate in two different
proposal.

i. Depending only on previous block size calculation.

ii. Depending on previous block size calculation and previous Tx fee
collected by miners.

Proposal 1: Depending only on previous block size calculation

If more than 50% of block's size, found in the first 2000 of the last
difficulty period, is more than 90% MaxBlockSize
    Double MaxBlockSize
Else if more than 90% of block's size, found in the first 2000 of the last
difficulty period, is less than 50% MaxBlockSize
    Half MaxBlockSize
Else
    Keep the same MaxBlockSize
Proposal 2: Depending on previous block size calculation and previous Tx
fee collected by miners

TotalTxFeeInLastButOneDifficulty = Sum of all Tx fees of first 2008 blocks
in last 2 difficulty period
TotalTxFeeInLastDifficulty = Sum of all Tx fees of second 2008 blocks in
last 2 difficulty period (This actually includes 8 blocks from last but one
difficulty)

If ( ( (Sum of first 4016 block size in last 2 difficulty period)/4016 >
50% MaxBlockSize) AND (TotalTxFeeInLastDifficulty >
TotalTxFeeInLastButOneDifficulty) )
    MaxBlockSize = TotalTxFeeInLastDifficulty * MaxBlockSize /
TotalTxFeeInLastButOneDifficulty
Else If ( ( (Sum of first 4016 block size in last 2 difficulty period)/4016
< 50% MaxBlockSize) AND (TotalTxFeeInLastDifficulty <
TotalTxFeeInLastButOneDifficulty) )
    MaxBlockSize = TotalTxFeeInLastDifficulty * MaxBlockSize /
TotalTxFeeInLastButOneDifficulty
Else
    Keep the same MaxBlockSize
Details: http://upalc.com/maxblocksize.php

Requesting for comment.