Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] SHA1 collisions make Git vulnerable to attakcs by third-parties, not just repo maintainers

From: Ethan Heilman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:36:49 -0500

>You have to not only produce a ripemd160 collision, you have to produce a
collision that is also a valid sha-256 hash - and that's much much much
more difficult.

I agree that merely finding a collision in RIPEMD-160 will be hard to use
in Bitcoin.

However finding a collision in RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(msg)) via bruteforce
(2^80 queries) is not particular more difficult than finding a collision in
RIPEMD-160 via brute force. Furthermore if you find a collision in
RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(msg)) you also get a valid SHA-256 hash for which you
know the preimage.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Alice Wonder via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 02/25/2017 08:10 AM, Ethan Heilman via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>
>> SHA1 is insecure because the SHA1 algorithm is insecure, not because
>>>
>> 160bits isn't enough.
>>
>> I would argue that 160-bits isn't enough for collision resistance.
>> Assuming RIPEMD-160(SHA-256(msg)) has no flaws (i.e. is a random
>> oracle), collisions can be generated in 2^80 queries (actually detecting
>> these collisions requires some time-memory additional trade-offs). The
>> Bitcoin network at the current hash rate performs roughly SHA-256 ~2^78
>> queries a day or 2^80 queries every four days.
>>
>
> You have to not only produce a ripemd160 collision, you have to produce a
> collision that is also a valid sha-256 hash - and that's much much much
> more difficult.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>