Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] On OP_RETURN in upcoming 0.9 release

From: "Warren Togami Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 04:42:14 -1000

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Troy Benjegerdes <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Either the transaction fees are sufficient to pay the cost for whatever
> random junk anyone wants to put there, or they are not, and if they are
> not, then I suggest you re-think the fee structure rather than trying
> to pre-regulate me putting 80 character pithy quotes in the blockhain.
>
>
https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/commit/db4d8e21d99551bef4c807aa1534a074e4b7964d

In one way in particular, the transaction fees per kilobyte completely
failed to account for the actual cost to the network.  If Bitcoin had
adopted a common-sense rule like this, I would have had no reason to join
Litecoin development last year.  This is one of the few economic design
flaws that Satoshi overlooked in the original design.

As much as I personally hate the idea of data storage in the blockchain,
this at least discourages the creation of permanent UTXO.

Warren Togami