Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Proposal: Move Bitcoin Dev List to a Neutral Competent Entity

From: "Warren Togami Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 17:19:09 -1000

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> wrote:

> * ACK on moving away from SourceForge mailing lists - though only once a
> community-welcomed replacement is up and running
>
> * ACK on using LF as a mailing infrastructure provider
>
> * Research secure mailing list models, for bitcoin-security.  The list is
> not ultra high security - we all use PGP for that - but it would perhaps be
> nice to find some spiffy cryptosystem where mailing list participants
> individually hold keys & therefore access.
>
>
While I agree this is a good idea, this should not be a precondition for
moving the public bitcoin-dev list.  The security team needs to separately
research/write tools needed for this.

<jgarzik> warren, wanna just go ahead and create bitcoin-development @ LF?

*More Feedback?*  As for going ahead, perhaps we should wait to hear from
more of the other technical leaders?

*More Questions*

*List Name?*  Would people prefer "bitcoin-development" for he new list
name instead of a shorter name like "bitcoin-dev"?  I personally like the
shorter name, but either is fine.
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo currently has
"sidechains-dev", and "lightning-dev" is moving there sometime soon.

*Proposed Cut-Off Date?*  Then we also need to agree on a date to cut off
the old list.  Their sysadmin said we could have the new list auto-post
from the old list for a short while.  I wonder how well that works ... if
that will result in double posting if people write to the new and CC the
old list.  Needs a little research how well it would behave to have both
lists operating during a transition period.  I think we should announce a
cut-off date when posts to the old list is shut off, July 15th, one month
from now.  Thoughts?

*Moderators?*  Mailman on the new server allows having separate logins for
admins and moderators.  I think the admins of the old SF project are gavin,
jgarzik and sipa... they are kind of busy.  Perhaps we should identify
known trusted community members who can help with moderation.  Usually this
is dealing with "held" messages that are flagged by the spam filter

Warren Togami