Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] instant confirmation via payment protocol backwards compatible proto buffer extension

From: Daniel Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:29:54 -0700

I'm trying to think through how to encourage the maximum number of instant
signature providers and avoid the VISA monopoly. Ideal case would be that
people can even be their own instant provider.

What if the protocol allowed multiple instant signatures on a transaction?
Would it encourage more instant providers? For example, a new instant
provider could bootstrap their own trust by paying an already trusted
instant provider to co-sign the same transaction. This would be useful in
the case that a new company tries to release a new wallet once the trust
ring is already established. Nobody will use that wallet because it does
not have the trusted history to do instant transactions, but if they can
pay a small amount per transaction to a third party to cosign, they can
build trust in their own signature till they can eventually have enough
trust on their own. This could be how an individual user could grow trust
in their own instant signature as well.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Mike Hearn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think many of us feel it'd be better if this kind of thing were not
> needed at all, however, the best way to ensure it doesn't end up being used
> is to write code, not to try and block alternative approaches. If Bitcoin
> is robust the market should sort it out. If it's robust for some
> transactions and not others, that makes for a fun project for a future
> generation of hackers to sort out.
>
> OK, enough philosophy - let's try and keep this thread just for discussion
> of the BIP itself from now on. If you'd like to continue debating the
> Future of Bitcoin please change the subject line and break it out into a
> new thread.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> HPCC Systems Open Source Big Data Platform from LexisNexis Risk Solutions
> Find What Matters Most in Your Big Data with HPCC Systems
> Open Source. Fast. Scalable. Simple. Ideal for Dirty Data.
> Leverages Graph Analysis for Fast Processing & Easy Data Exploration
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/hpccsystems
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development
>
>