Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] how to disable segwit in my build?

From: Hampus Sjöberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:39:40 +0200

> I believe that a good reason not to wish your node to be segwit compliant
is to avoid having to deal with the extra bandwidth that segwit could
require.   Running a 0.14.2 node means being ok with >1MB blocks, in case
segwit is activated and widely used. Users not interested in segwit
transactions may prefer to keep the cost of their node lower.

If the majority of the network decides to deploy SegWit, it would be in
your best interest to validate the SegWit transactions, because you might
will be downgraded to near-SPV node validation.
It would be okay to still run a "non-SegWit" node if there's no SegWit
transactions in the chain of transactions for your bitcoins, otherwise you
cannot fully verify the the ownership of your bitcoins.
I'm not sure the practicality of this in the long run, but it makes a case
for having an up-to-date non-SegWit node, although I think it's a bit of a
stretch.

Greetings
Hampus

2017-07-13 15:11 GMT+02:00 Federico Tenga via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]>:

> On 13 July 2017 at 03:04, Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Can you explain why you wish to do this?  It should have absolutely no
>> adverse impact on you-- if you don't use segwit, you don't use it-- it
>> may be the case that there is some confusion about the implications
>> that I could clear up for you... or suggest alternatives that might
>> achieve your goals.
>>
>
> I believe that a good reason not to wish your node to be segwit compliant
> is to avoid having to deal with the extra bandwidth that segwit could
> require.   Running a 0.14.2 node means being ok with >1MB blocks, in case
> segwit is activated and widely used. Users not interested in segwit
> transactions may prefer to keep the cost of their node lower.
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>
>