Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Block size following technological growth

From: Suhas Daftuar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 12:41:55 -0400

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Gavin Andresen via bitcoin-dev <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> So we'd get to 2MB blocks in the year 2021. I think that is much too
> conservative, and the most likely effect of being that conservative is that
> the main blockchain becomes a settlement network, affordable only for
> large-value transactions.
>

While that may be true I think that's okay -- if it turns out that this is
too conservative, and we succeed in scaling the system so that it's
non-controversial to increase these limits later via another hard fork, we
would still be free to do so.

It seems to me that everyone who has been arguing recently to increase the
block size limit ought to find this proposal to be a strict improvement
over where we are now, and this proposal seems like it's reasonably likely
to be non-controversial enough to be worth proposing as a hard fork in
Bitcoin Core -- thank you Pieter for putting this together.

For my part, I'd give this a concept ACK, pending hearing further thoughts
from others.

Suhas Daftuar